Slider

Things I Learnt After Leaving School

Sunday 25 November 2018

Since completing my A-Levels I have learnt so much. Of course I learnt a lot during education but really, I have learnt a whole lot more post education,

School doesn't teach you 'real life'. School is a bubble which you get so caught up in, when you leave, you see the world differently, well in my experience anyway. Friends, lessons, teachers, grades, exams, homework, sports etc.. all whilst trying to grow up and figure out what you want to do. Everything at school felt like a massive deal and the be all and end all when in actual fact, nothing is the 'end of the world' (if that makes any sense).

I want to share with you a few of the things I have realised since leaving education and working.



1) Nobody cares

 This may sound harsh or mean but seriously, everyone is focused on their life and their own problems. Yes people will care about you and how you are, but we spend too much time worrying about how we look and how we are perceived when, really, everyone is caught up in their own business to even think about yours. At school I was so worried about others opinions, but just months after leaving school I am much more care free, knowing that people are busy doing their own thing.

2) Popularity doesn't matter 

Similar to the previous one but popularity is irrelevant. There is no such thing, we are all just people trying to get on with our lives. There is a 'hierarchy' in the work place or higher education but popularity as such is not an issue. Though in school I didn't strive to be 'popular' it is interesting how you realise that it really is just something for schools.


3) Grades don't define success 

It saddens me how much I let grades affect me at school. I worried about my grades so much and worked excessively hard for grades that I didn't actually 'need'. Yes, getting grades is an amazing achievement but once you leave school there are so many more factors which define your success. To be honest, I no longer strive to be the most successful or to do the 'best', I just want to be happy- which sounds cliche but it is true. Happiness over an A* any day!


4) Getting a job is hard

No matter what grades you have, getting a job is so hard. Whether that be in retail, media, finance, property etc.. it is a challenge and a half to find a job with a decent salary. I thought it would be easy, which was silly of me. You really have to work for the job you want, you have to compete with hundreds of others who also want that job and prove that you are the right one for the role. It is so difficult and grades will only take you so far. But once you find that job you want, and you get it, it is one of the best feelings ever!


5) There is so much more to life

I think this sounds so cringey but again it is so true. In school you are bubble wrapped, you are with the same people all day, all week, you know your routine, you have holidays etc.. I am not undermining school- it is hard, but once you leave school it is quite a shock. I have realised that there is so much more to life than this little bubble of school and routine. So many more people, places and opportunities. Leaving education has been one of the best things for me because I have met so many people already and have found new hobbies which I love.


This post was personal to me, of course we all have different experiences. I left school after A Levels and decided not to go to university and from that experience I have already learnt a lot and I am feeling excited for the future! 

What have you learnt after leaving school? Was your experience different to mine?

Ellie x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|